You are here:

Commercial Insurance with Surrey Independent Advisers

As an independent broker, SIA has strong relationships with some of the UK’s leading insurance providers. However complex your business requirements are, Surrey Independent Advisers can offer the complete service you expect.

As the name suggests, this form of policy is a combination of different covers that would often be available as individual policies. A business may need to cover not only the buildings and contents of its premises but also additional sections such as Public/Products and Employers Liability, Business Interruption, Money, Goods in Transit & All Risks cover on equipment used away from the premises.

The cost of taking or defending legal action could place a considerable financial strain on your business. Legal expenses insurance (LEI) covers legal costs such as solicitors’ fees and expenses, the cost of barristers and expert witnesses, court costs and opponent’s costs if awarded against you in civil cases. Types of dispute normally covered include contractual and employment matters, for example – claims for unfair dismissal, racial or sexual discrimination, the recovery of bad debts and disputes with a landlord other than those relating to rent or service charge (particularly relevant for small businesses when dealing with a large corporation or local authority landlord).

Many insurance companies now offer an office or surgery “package” policy that includes various sections of cover automatically with no additional cost to the Insured. The rating of the premium would mainly be based on the building and contents values with automatic sections often including for example – Public and Employers Liability, Money, book debts, business interruption and All Risks cover on equipment used away from the office.

As with office insurance many insurance companies now offer a “Shop package” policy that includes various sections of cover automatically with no additional cost to the Insured. The rating of the premium would mainly be based on the building, contents & stock values with automatic sections often including e.g. – Public and Employers Liability, Money, book debts, business interruption and stock in transit. There will often be a provision for an automatic increase in the stock sum insured for busy periods such as Easter and the Christmas season.

Public Houses, Inns, Wine Bars, Restaurants and Cafes
Package covers available to protect the business contents & stock plus liability, loss of license, business interruption, money, glass, and stock in transit. Additional sections can be added for buildings and personal contents contained within the living accommodation. Cover is also available for social clubs and self-catering holiday establishments.

Hotels plus Guest and Boarding Houses
Package covers available to protect the business contents & stock plus liability, loss of license, business interruption, money, glass, and stock in transit. Additional sections can be added for buildings and personal contents contained within the living accommodation.

The introduction of new legislation and changes to corporate governance has increased the personal responsibilities of a director. Under statute law there are an ever-increasing number of duties and responsibilities imposed – a breach of which could lead to an individual being personally prosecuted. For example – The Companies Act, The Trade Descriptions Act 1968, The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, The Insolvency Act 1986, The Environmental Protection Act 1995. The need for this cover has never been more important for the protection of a company Director or Officer.

By law, all employers must insure against their legal liability for injury, disease or death to employees sustained by them and arising from their employment. Employees will normally include, in addition to those under a contract of employment, apprentices and other trainees and those hired from another employer. The only exception is where all your employees are close relatives and you should check if you think that this may apply to you. You are legally required to insure for at least £5 million but in practice most policies offer £10 million minimum cover. The law also requires that you exhibit a certificate of employers’ liability insurance at each place of work.

We are Fleet Insurance specialists in this field with access to highly competitive rates offering Fleet Management and risk assessments to improve claims experience, providing a wide scope of cover, and packages tailored to your business needs.

Some of the benefits include:

  • Any Driver Cover, no restrictions with regard to age
  • Approved Repairer Network offering efficient repair service
  • Personal Effect Cover
  • Personal Accident Cover £5,000
  • New Vehicle Replacement
  • Medical Expenses
  • Loss of Keys Cover
  • Full European Cover
  • Low cost monthly installment payments

A typical Professional Indemnity policy offers broad cover to meet the needs of today’s professionals. It provides indemnity against legal liability to pay damages and claimant’s costs and expenses as a result of a breach of professional duty on the part of the business. It also pays for all other costs and expenses incurred with our consent.

The insurance covers the policyholder’s liability for the acts, errors and omissions of:

  • partners or former partners
  • directors or employees
  • agents

In addition, the policy includes cover for liability arising from:

  • Negligence or breach of duty of care.
  • Intellectual property: unintentionally infringing on others’ copyrights, trademarks, broadcasting rights, any act of passing off.
  • Loss of documents/data: damaged, lost or stolen data and documents belonging to your clients.
  • Dishonesty: liability arising from the theft of your clients’ money.

Defence costs are paid in addition to the limit of indemnity in most cases.

How much cover is required?

We recommend that no insurance policy is taken out with a limit of less than £250,000. We will, however, provide a quotation for a minimum of £100,000 if required. We are also able to provide cover up to a limit of £10,000,000 in most cases. If higher limits are required we are able to provide an excess of loss. Any professionals in doubt about the amount of cover they should take out should consult their insurance brokers or legal advisers.

Gone are the days when only professionals such as solicitors, surveyors or accountants needed Professional Indemnity insurance. Today, clients have high expectations of their professional advisers – whatever their field – and are well aware of their legal rights. There is no question that any business which provides professional advice, designs, or offers similar services to clients needs the protection Professional Indemnity insurance provides.

A wide range of occupations can be insured against the consequences of actual or alleged errors or omissions, ranging from the traditional classes to the new and more unusual risks.

Typical Policy Features

  • Civil Liability wordings available for most professions.
  • Broad definition of Insured, including former principals, partners, directors and employees.
  • Cover for vicarious liability of agents.
  • Defence Costs paid in addition to the limit of indemnity.
  • Cover for the consequences of lost or damaged documents (including the cost of replacement whether in electronic or paper format).
  • Compensation for court attendance as a witness in connection with a claim.
  • Cover for liability arising out of the dishonesty of employees or agents.
  • We can include a clause that addresses waiver of our rights to avoid claims in the event of non-disclosure or misrepresentation as long as there is no fraudulent conduct on the part of the Insured.
  • Specialist policies for a wide range of occupations, where necessary, providing cover that exceeds the minimum requirements of the relevant professional bodies.

A typical policy includes the following features: –

Property Damage -The range of risks to be insured against can usually include: –

  • Accidental Damage
  • Aircraft impact
  • Earthquake
  • Escape of water from any tank, apparatus or pipe
  • Fire, Lightning or Explosion
  • Impact by any road vehicle or animal
  • Riot and Civil Commotion or Malicious Persons
  • Sprinkler Leakage
  • Storm, Tempest or Flood
  • Subterranean Fire
  • Subsidence
  • Theft

Property Owners Liability – Provides cover for costs and damages which you may be legally liable to pay as compensation to third parties, for accidental injury or damage up to a limit, usually £2M. Additional extensions can be added to your commercial property insurance cover. These include:

  • Contractual Liability
  • Court Attendance Compensation
  • Data Protection Act
  • Defective Premises Act 1972

Legal Expenses – Offers legal advice and protection against the costs and expenses of legal proceedings which may be taken against you. Policy features usually include:

  • Legal Advice – Access to Lawphone which provides advice on all business related legal matters, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Property – Payment of legal fees to pursue compensation for damage to your property.
  • Prosecution Defence – Defence costs after an event which results in certain criminal proceedings. Please contact us for full details.

Loss of Rent – Covers loss of rental income following damage to the buildings and/or contents. The range of scenarios insured against, are similar to those covered in the property damage section. Additional benefits can be included such as:

  • Alterations and Additions – Increase in rental income following alterations, additions and improvements or newly acquired premises.
  • Denial of Access – Prevention of access to the premises due to an insured event.
  • Infectious and Contagious Diseases – Interruption to the business as a consequence of a notifiable human disease.
  • Rent Reviews – Increase in rental income following a rent review.

Employers Liability – Covers for damages, legal costs and expenses for which you are legally liable, in respect of bodily injury or disease to employees. Possible extensions might be:

  • Court Attendance Compensation
  • Health & Safety at Work, Legal Defence Costs
  • Unsatisfied Court Judgements

Public liability insurance covers your legal liability to pay damages to members of the public for death, bodily injury or damage to their property that occurs as a result of your business activities. It also covers legal fees, costs and expenses such as representation at any coroner’s inquest, fatal accident enquiry or other court hearing because of an accident. When deciding on how much cover to buy, you should carefully consider the maximum claim that could be made against you. Awards for injury can exceed £1 million. Certain businesses, where there is a spreading fire or possibility of multiple personal injuries, could face claims for damages far exceeding this figure. The limit of indemnity will apply to claims arising from a single incident.

Products Liability – If you make, repair or sell products, you could be held legally liable for damage or injury arising from defects in their design or manufacture even if you have not been negligent. Product liability insurance covers you in these circumstances up to a maximum amount each year. The Consumer Protection Act 1987 makes it a criminal offence to supply unsafe consumer goods.

Cover is usually available for all motor traders, from the one man trading from his home address to the large dealerships. Policies can be for Road Risks only, Liability or a combination of these covers with the additional of machinery & plant, hand tools and stock.

Commercial vehicle insurance is usually a major expenditure in a business, so it is essential that you get good value for money. Cover may be tailored for most types of vehicle up to 44 tonnes and for most trades. Whatever your circumstances, we are committed to finding you the best policy at the cheapest price. We also offer a mirrored no claims bonus scheme so if you are struggling to find a quotation because your no claims bonus is tied up on your car, look no further!

Personal Insurance with Surrey Independent Advisers

We can provide you with the right policies specifically tailored for your motor, home, travel & leisure and motorcycle requirements as well as offering insurance products for vehicle breakdown, Events & Private Medical Insurance.

Working with leading insurers, we have managed to negotiate competitive premiums for our clients without compromising on the quality of the cover available. Unlike some of our competitors, we do not operate a call centre – we operate a personal service so that we can provide you with policies which are specifically designed to suit your personal requirements.

In addition, we also offer specialist insurance services for high net worth individuals. We can provide you with specialist advice and bespoke policies for your high net worth personal items to include fine art, jewellery, luxury vehicles, yachts and your home.

For some people there’s no substitute for the personal touch. Here at SIA we pride ourselves on providing a quality service whilst catering for the individual’s needs and requirements.

You may think that by going direct to an insurer you will be cutting out the middle man and saving money. This is not always the case!! As a specialist intermediary in the motor insurance market we have access to over 100 insurance schemes and discounts are available to us that are not available to some of the direct companies.

Our team of experienced staff will help you find the best product designed especially for you.

Just because you own a performance car doesn’t mean you have to pay extortionate premiums.

Whether you are a first time driver, a woman driver or simply looking for cheaper car insurance let us do the searching for you.

Low Cost Monthly Finance is available on request.

Should you have a claim our unique service, that uses an experienced team of legal advisers, will handle the process from reporting through to completion of repairs. Any perceived stress will be eased with our knowledge and guidance.

Why spend hours on the Internet when one call does it all?

Insuring your home from the elements and malicious or accidental damage is usually a condition of the mortgage lender that provides finance on your property. Even if this were not the case it makes good sense to ensure you have a call on sufficient funds to make repairs should disaster strike. Such cover is available from a Buildings Insurance policy.

Many people allow their mortgage lender to suggest the provider of this valuable insurance cover. This could mean that you are paying too high a premium. With many insurance companies offering good quality low cost insurance cover it might be wise for you to consider arranging alternative cover to replace the existing insurer.

While buildings insurance is concerned with the fabric of your home, this is not the only risk. It is equally important to safeguard your possessions and to do this you need Contents Insurance. This can be provided by a separate policy or included as part of the same Buildings Insurance policy. Although insurance can never cover the sentimental value of your personal belongings, good quality policies could provide the money to replace broken, damaged, or stolen items.

This section provides a quotation facility to help you find the most suitable policy for your needs. We also include helpful guides which set out to explain the jargon used by insurance companies and provide helpful pointers on what is best for you.

What is Building Insurance?
Buildings Insurance covers loss or damage to the actual structure of your home. The home fixtures and fittings, garden walls, gates, hedges and fences, paths, drives and patios, carports, permanent swimming pools built of brick, stone or concrete, permanently fixed hot tubs or Jacuzzis and hard tennis courts.

Some of the benefits include:

  • Subsidence or Ground Heave
  • Storm or Flood Damage
  • Falling Trees or Branches
  • Malicious Damage
  • Fire, Smoke, Lightning & Explosion
  • Loss of Keys

What is Contents Insurance?
Contents insurance gives protection on your possessions. This may be at home, in the car or on the move.
Contents insurance covers both the total loss of your possessions or damage caused to them.

Some of the benefits include:

  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Fire, flood or smoke damage
  • Water from burst boilers, tanks or pipes
  • Accidental damage (if taken out as an addition)
  • Public & Personal Liability
  • Loss of Money or Credit Cards

Where are you off to this year? The range of holiday destinations around the world has never been so varied or so exciting. It sounds like a cliché but nowadays there really is something to suit everyone. Whether you want to spend a few hundred or many thousands of pounds, whether your taste turns to a cottage in rural England or to spiritual retreats in Nepal, from skiing in the Alps to bungee jumping in the Antipodes, make sure your holiday remains relaxing by taking out good quality travel insurance. Whether you need cover for a weekend break or a specially tailored policy to cover a trip around the world, there is a travel insurance policy to suit you and to help you cope with the financial implications of any unforeseen occurrences.

If you would like any further information on any aspect of this section contact us now.